Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I'm confident it will be 1000000000000% better than the Star Wars Holiday Special

There's going to be a Cabin Pressure Christmas Special!

I'm betting most of you don't care about a BBC radio sitcom that you've never heard of, BUT YOU SHOULD because a) I've just told you about it and b) it's hysterical. The writing is tight and tremendously clever and there's something magical about the simplicity of the set up (the adventures of tiny, single jet airline crew) that lends itself to sitcom gold. There are four main characters (a good pilot, a safe pilot, an excitable steward and their boss), each vivid and ridiculous in ways that only comedy can allow. I've spent a lot of time trying to stifle giggles when I'm listening to an episode on the train.  Cabin Pressure has also become a staple of any family road trip lasting longer than 29 minutes, with both my mom and I reaching to hook up our iPod's to the radio the moment listening to an episode is suggested.

I really can not praise it highly enough. It's easily one of my favourite sitcoms of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment